Royal Hop Pole Hotel94, Church Street
This well known landmark is an amalgamation of historic buildings from the 15th and 18th centuries. It has been known as the Royal Hop Pole since a visit in September 1891 from Princess Mary of Teck (Queen Mary Royal Consort of George V). The pub is mentioned in Pickwick Papers. It was purchased by J.D. Wetherspoon and opened in May 2008. Wood panelling on almost every wall of the very spacious, multi-roomed drinking establishment with large patio and garden area at the rear.